Skip to main content

Sound Advice: September 30, 2026

Now what?

For many women, there comes a time when financial confusion reigns.  It may come after a spouse passes or a marriage goes off the rails.  It’s the same situation for women who never married.

The questions are many.  The answers may be few.  Toward the top of the list of concerns is the issue of understanding.  Although there are always complex matters, it’s essential that all of the elements are clearly presented in a straightforward fashion. 

There’s more.  Presentation is one thing, but comprehension is another. If there’s a question, it must be asked.  Clarity is the key.  Don’t just say I get it when you don’t. 

And, it’s essential to grasp how each of the items fits in the overall situation.

In the absence of understanding, no decisions will be made.

Here are some of the most pressing questions?

What’s the smart way to handle my investments?

Where should I go for advice? A bank, stockbroker, attorney, accountant or “financial adviser?”

How should I select an adviser?

Do I need an adviser or can I do it myself?

How much will I need to support my retirement? Can my investments support my preferred lifestyle?

Do I need life insurance, how much, and where should I get it? How do I cover my mortgage, taxes, and maintenance on my home?

What other insurance do I need?

Should I buy an annuity? What kind, if any?

What do I need to know about Social Security?  When should I start taking it? What if I’m a widow? Or divorced?

What do I need to know about my IRA, 401(k) or pension?

As a single taxpayer, what changes do I need to know about?

There are many more questions.

More often than not, marriage partners do not share financial information.  The husband handles the money and the wife handles the home.  Though this situation is less common these days, it still exists.  So the wife tends to be left high and dry, wondering which direction to turn when she ends up alone.

The good news is that most of the major issues are straightforward and can be handled without extraordinary effort.  The bad news is that the inhabitants of the financial marketplace will work hard to convince you that resolution can only be provided by high-priced specialists. In the majority of the cases, that’s nonsense.

N. Russell Wayne

Weston, CT  06883

203-895-8877

www.soundasset.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sound Advice: July 16, 2025

Fixed annuities are poor investments Fixed annuities are often criticized as poor investments for several reasons, despite their reputation for providing stable, predictable income.  Here are the key drawbacks and concerns:   High Fees and Commissions Internal Fees:  Fixed annuities can carry a range of fees, including administrative charges, mortality expense risk fees, and rider fees. These can add up to 2%–4% per year, significantly eroding returns over time. Commissions:  Sales agents and financial advisors often receive high commissions for selling annuities—sometimes as much as 5%–8% of the invested amount. This creates a financial incentive for advisers to recommend them, even when they may not be the best fit for the client. Comparison to Other Investments:  Mutual funds and ETFs typically have much lower fees and commissions, making them more cost-effective for long-term growth. Limited Growth a...

Sound Advice: October 8, 2025

How many investors have outperformed the stock market over the last 20 years? Very few investors have outperformed the stock market over the past 20 years.   Data shows that only about 6% to 8% of actively managed equity funds in the U.S. beat the market over this period, with the vast majority—over 90%—underperforming the S&P 500 or equivalent broad indexes. Percentage of Investors Beating the Market Only 8% of equity funds investing in large companies managed to outperform the market over a recent 20-year span. About 94% of all domestic funds underperformed the S&P 1500 Composite Index from 2005-2024. Over shorter timeframes (5-10 years), typically fewer than 15-20% of fund managers beat the S&P 500, and performance persistence is rare. Why It Is Rare The S&P 500’s high returns have proven immensely difficult to beat, especially as indexing has become popular and markets have ...

Sound Advice: January 3, 2025

2025 Market Forecasts: Stupidity Taken To An Extreme   If you know anything about stock market performance, you can only gag at the nonsense “esteemed forecasters” are now putting forth about the prospective path of stocks in the year ahead.   Our cousins in the UK would call this rubbish.   I would not be as kind. Leading the Ship of Fools is the forecast from the Chief Investment Strategist at Oppenheimer who is looking for a year-end 2025 level for the Standard & Poor’s Index of 7,100, a whopping 21% increase from the most recent standing.   Indeed, most of these folks are looking for double-digit gains.   Only two expect stocks to weaken. In the last 30 years, the market has risen by more than 20% only 15 times.   The exceptional span during that time was 1996-1999, which accounted for four of those jumps.   What followed in 2000 through 2002 was the polar opposite: 2000:      -9.1% 2001:     -11.9% ...